Saturday, July 21, 2007

I had a great time



A couple of weeks ago I had my fifth trip to California, and had a few days to myself in the wonderfulliest city in the world, San Francisco, trying desperately to not look like a tourist, guzzling espresso in Caffe Greco (sitting INSIDE, looking unimpressed, like a local), and spending a whole day in SFMOMA. God I would move there in a second, if only I had a squillion dollars to buy a cool apartment with a view of the Coit Tower. I would eat Cannoli every day, just in honor of Pete Clemenza.

Anyhoo, we then drove up the coast to Mendocino where we saw the 4th of July parade and gorged ourselves on bbq and amazing organic delicacies. Mendo is a beautiful town by the sea, full of beautiful wooden buildings and ex-hippies who've gotten older and respectable. I would live there too (see above proviso). Road trips in the US are kind of surreal to a Kiwi, like being inside a movie. Breakfast joints, tired waitresses and buckets of filtered coffee. Just brilliant.

One of my terrible afflictions is that everywhere I travel to, I want to live there. In September we're going back to France. Uh oh.

No comments: